Is it really a dilemma? Do guys really think much about whether it’s good to shave or not? How much should you shave off and what should you use to do it?
The 70’s are long gone, unless you’re naturally bald down there, you need to pay attention!
Shaving the dick and balls is increasingly becoming a regular part of the modern guys grooming ritual. While ignored and left untouched for many years (just take a look at any porn movie from the 60’s or 70’s!) men have once again picked up the razor and tentatively started to rediscover this essential art.
Why is this?
It’s in no small part down to the efforts of manufacturers and advertising agencies. When the idea of “metro-sexual” came along, several companies jumped on the bandwagon the moment they saw that it was potentially here to stay as a lifestyle change.
Advertising went into overdrive with writers and columnists earning a fair bit creating content tying a specific product into the new focus of male grooming. When you read an article in a mens mag giving you tips on how to shave your nuts, chances are good that the author is recommending a product, and gaining a nice little sum for the privilege too.
But it’s not only advertising and marketing that has suddenly persuaded us into trimming the jungle. So here are some of the potential benefits of grooming your “Man bush”.
- Size. Most men have a thing about size. While you may not be particularly interested in developing your dick with stretchers and exercises, we love the idea of having a bigger cock. It might not even be to try to impress anyone or because of any inadequacy, we just have a lustful relationship with our cock. Forget everyone else, making it look bigger pleases US! Trimming the bush around the base of the shaft makes your dick appear to be bigger, to you and anyone else who sees it. This is a fact.
- Pride. Most of us take some pride in our appearance, and trimming/shaving down there boosts this self-image. If we think we look good from outside, we feel good in ourselves.
- Cleanliness. It’s true that having less of a jungle down there makes less room for mess. Too much hair and it becomes basically untidy and difficult to manage. Imagine you’re in the throes of passion, lube and juices flying everywhere, tangling and knotting that shrubbery. Ewww!
- Sensation. If you have ever shaved your balls you know how different it feels to the touch. Aside from it being more pleasing for anyone else, playing with your meat and two veg becomes more interesting when direct skin-to-skin contact can be made. I am an advocate of completely shaving the nuts. I think they look better with a clear view, they look more interesting when you can see every fold and crease of the scrotum. But they also feel better in your lubed-up hand.
- Perception of others. While I cannot for the life of me find any definitive data or research on the subject, it certainly seems that the majority of people prefer to see a penis trimmed on top and shaved underneath. Having a look on various adult forums where this subject is discussed seems to indicate that light and neat trimming of the bush is preferred, with complete shaving of the scrotum and shaft. In addition to this, if a guy clearly shows an interest in maintaining this area, it suggests that they are more conscious of their body, more aware and more health-minded. This is obviously going to go in your favour with a partner.
- While many will recommend that you buy an electric hair trimmer for that main bush, it is not needed. A steady hand and a pair of small scissors will do just fine for trimming the main bush. While an electric trimmer might make it easier, consider if you really need one before spending money. Even with a trimmer, it takes practice and adjustment to get the look you feel suits your member. I find I have better results trimming with small scissors.
- Never make a clear and straight line at the base of the dick where it meets your pubes. This is reminiscent of the bowl haircut and is comically known as the “Mr Spock” look. Likewise don’t get carried away and move further back than you want, it’ll look like a receding hairline! Watch out for the skin colour change; for many men the dick is a slightly different skin tone to the body, and if you trim too far back above your dick that lighter skin will look like a horizontal landing strip! This is even more difficult if you try to do this with a hard cock too. If you shave while you’re hard, when you’re soft that line won’t be in the same place. Trust me on this, you probably will get hard. I would always suggest avoiding the straight line by trimming small sections of hair away at an angle. You’re going for “naturally neat”, not a “Military Buzz Cut”
- Always use a slightly blunted disposable razor on your balls. I cannot stress this enough. Many companies will try to sell the idea that you should always use a sharp, brand new razor. This is not true. The skin there is complicated. If you’re anything like me your scrotum is saggy and wrinkled, you don’t want to be catching any of those creases on a sharp-as-can-be blade! Stretch the skin so it’s taut, apply shaving gel and take small light strokes with a slightly blunted razor and you’ll stand a better chance of avoiding those nasty nicks.
- Don’t forget the shaft. Most of us have wispy stray hairs that appear along the length of the dick. They are sporadic, but they can ruin the look if you forget one or two. They can sometimes even be found on the foreskin, especially for men over 30. You can go at this in two ways; either get yourself as hard as you can and go at the length of the shaft with the razor (never recommended!), or pluck at each one individually. Needless to say, EXTREME care should be taken if approaching your hard wang with anything sharp!
- Backward strokes remove more hair. Take small and careful strokes against the natural growing direction of the hair and you’ll get a closer shave.
- Repetition makes your style and look easier to maintain. If you only do it once every month, you’re more likely to miss a hair here and there. If you make it a part of your weekly routine (or even daily) you’ll gradually remove any stray hairs you didn’t notice.
- It’s pointless doing this if you have a back like a gorilla. Lets face facts here, no one will care if your dick looks neat and appealing if you can produce enough static electricity with your back hair to stick the cat to the ceiling. Pay attention to the Perineum, your butt, your back and everything else too.
- Moisturize the area completely after every single shave.
- Get more advice if you are not sure. There are plenty of adult forums and networks on the internet, and they allow you to flash your bits to the world and get an opinion on just about anything. Don’t be shy, if you need an opinion and there is an audience who are more than happy to take a look, use the opportunity. It takes minutes to join a forum and post a pic, and within hours you can have a whole host of responses from men and women offering their opinion.